- ABOUT US
Johane Allard, FRCPC, MD
Professor of Medicine,
University of Toronto
Division of Clinical Investigation & Human Physiology
Toronto General Research Institute
- University Health Network, Toronto University of Toronto, Dept. of Medicine
- University of Toronto, Dept. of Nutritional Sciences
- 1981 Doctor of Medicine, University of Montreal
- 1981 Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada
- 1982 Federation Licensure Examination (FLEX), New York State
- 1985 Certificate de Specialite de la Province de Quebec, Internal Medicine
- 1985 Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Canada, Internal Medicine
- 1985 American Board of Internal Medicine
- 1986 Certificate de Specialite de la Province de Quebec, Gastroenterology
- 1986 Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Canada, Gastroenterology
Johane P. Allard is a Professor of Medicine at the University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada and is crossed-appointed at the Department of Nutritional Sciences. She trained in gastroenterology at McGill University before completing a research fellowship funded by the National Institute of Nutrition at the University of Toronto.
Awards and recognition:
- 1986 – 1989 National Institute of Nutrition Fellowship Award
- 1990 Dean’s Fund
- 1990/1991 Outstanding Clinical Teacher Award
(Joint Undergraduate Medicine & Surgery Education Committee) The Toronto Hospital
- 1993 Best paper presented at the National Colon-Proctology Meeting, Brazil
(Supervisor of Helio Plapler recipient)
- 1995 ASPEN: Harry Vars Award. (Supervisor of Albert Verhage recipient)
- 1997 Best paper presented at CAG Fellowship course (supervisor of Helena Lau recipient)
- 2003 Best Abstract Award, Canadian Society for Clinical Nutrition 2003
- 2010 Supervised PhD Student Arcand JoAnne – Nestle Nutrition Graduate Student Award 1st
- Editorial Boards
- Editor, Clinical Nutrition Rounds 2001- 2004
- Co-Editor, Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care 1996-2000
- Editorial reviewer, Journal of Geriatric Care 2001-
- Editor, Canadian Society for Clinical Nutrition Newsletter & Journal Review 2003-2004
- Editor, Lecture Series in Clinical Nutrition on CD ROM 2004-2007
- Editorial Board: Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology, 2005-
- Professional and Honorary Societies
- 1990 - American Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ASPEN)
- 1991 - Scientific Board, National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- 1991 - 1996 Advisory Board Member, Clintec & Ross
- 1991 - American Gastroenterological Association (AGA)
- 1991 - Canadian Association of Gastroenterology (CAG)
- 1991 - Ontario and Canadian Medical Associations (OCMA)
- 1991 - American Society of Clinical Nutrition (ASCN)
- 1993 - 1996 The Medicine Group (Canada) Limited
- 1990 - 2001 American College of Nutrition (ACN)
- 1994 Scientific Advisory Council Member, National Institute of Nutrition
- 1994 - 1996 Advisory Committee Member, Speciality Food Shop, Hosp Sick Children
- 1997 - Societé Francophone de Nutrition Enterale et Parenterale
- 2001 - 2004 Founder and President, Canadian Society for Clinical Nutrition
- 2002 - 2004 Director, Governing Board, Canadian Digestive Diseases Foundation
- 2005 - Dr. F.M. Hill Advisory Board Trust Fund Women’s College: member
- 2005 - Member of Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of Canada
- 2005 - Member of Canadian Liver Foundation
- 2005 - Member of American College of Gastroenterology
- Grant Review Committee
- 1996 - 1999 Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of Canada
- 2001 - 2004 Canadian Association of Gastroenterology
- 2000 National Institute of Health
- 2006 Canadian Foundation for Aids Research
- National Committees
- 2006 - Member, GI Examination Board, Royal College of Physician and Surgeons of Canada
- 2008 - Vice Chair, GI Examination Board Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- 2009 Chair, Canadian Malnutrition Task Force
- 2005 - Chair, Canadian Home Total Parenteral Nutrition Registry
- 2000 - 2010 Member, Advisory Board Canadian Society for Clinical Nutrition
- 2010 - Member Advisory Board Canadian Nutrition Society
- University Committees
- 1985 - 1986 Training Committee, McGill University, Montreal
- 1982 - 1983 Intensive Care Unit of Teaching Committee Maisonneuve-Rosemont
- 1982 - 1983 Executive Board, Maisonneuve‑Rosemont Hospital, Montreal
- 1994 - 1996 Faculty Advisory Committee on Animal Services, University of Toronto
- 1999 - 2001 Search Committee for Chief of Gastro-intestinal Diseases, UHN Toronto
- 2003 - 2007 Member Gender Issues Committee, Medicine, University of Toronto
- 2005 - 2007 Chair Gender Issues Committee, Medicine, University of Toronto
- 2006 - Department Division Director Committee, University of Toronto
- 2005 - Member Faculty Development Committee
- Hospital Committees
- 1998 - Member, Awards Committee, Institute of Medical Science, U of T
- 1995 - 1997 Section Chief, Luminal Division, The Toronto Hospital
- 1994 - 1999 Member, The Toronto Hospital Economics Committee
- 1994 - 1997 Member, GI Training Program Committee
- 1994 - 1997 Member, Pharmaceutics and Therapeutics Committee
- 1990 - Director, The Nutrition Program, The Toronto General Hospital
- 1990 - Chair, The Nutrition Review Committee
- 1989 - 1990 Member, The Nutrition Committee, The Toronto Hospital
- 2002 - 2007 Chair, Women’s Issues Committee, UHN/MSH
- 2002 - Member, Senior Advisory Committee, UHN
- 2002 - Member, Economics Committee, UHN
Dr. Allard is a clinical investigator, with a research focus in nutrition and gastrointestinal disorders.
Current focus of research is:
- Non- alcoholic fatty liver disease and nutrition related factors that could contribute to the pathogenesis, including:
- Diet and lifestyle (dietary intake, obesity, physical activity)
- Oxidative stress and antioxidants
- Lipid profile of liver and other tissues (lipid classes, fatty acid composition)
- Hepatic gene expression (genes related to oxidative stress, lipid metabolism, insulin resistance)
- Intestinal microbiota
- Home Parenteral Nutrition
Dr. Allard's team is managing the Canadian Home Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) Registry, which collects demographic information, medical history and health status of patients in Home TPN programs across Canada. Dr. Allard’s team is also conducting a multicenter randomized controlled trial to examine the effects of fish- oil based lipid emulsion on parenteral nutrition-associated liver disease. Dr. Allard's areas of expertise also include inflammatory bowel disease, celiac disease, and short bowel syndrome. In addition, she and her team have conducted studies on patients with HIV infection or chronic Hepatitis C infection, as well as lung- and liver transplant patients.
- Nutrition Care in Canadian Hospitals
Dr Allard is one of the co-chairs of the recently founded Candian Malnutrition Task Force (http://nutritioncareinca>nada.ca/). The aim of the task force is to create a knowledge base and close the gaps between research and practice in the prevention, detection and treatment of malnutrition in Canadians through the continuum of care. Their first study ‘Nutrition Care in Canadian Hospitals’ is currently conducted at multiple hospitals across Canada, including the University Health Network with Dr Allard as a site investigator. Dr. Allard's areas of expertise also include inflammatory bowel disease, celiac disease, and short bowel syndrome. In addition, she and her team have conducted studies on patients with HIV infection or chronic Hepatitis C infection, as well as lung- and liver transplant patients.
Marialena Mouzaki, MSc student, Dpt. of Medicine, “The role of the intestinal microbiota in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease”.
Daniela Malta, MSc student, Dpt. Of Nutritional Sciences, “The role of high fruit and vegetable diet in heart failure”
- Madill J, Aghdassi E, Arendt B, Gutierrez C, Singer L, Chow C, Allard JP. Oxidative Stress and Nutritional Intakes in Lung Transplant Patients with Bronchiolitis Obliterans Syndrome. Transplant Proc 2009; 41(9): 3838-44.
- Allard JP, Cosby R, Del Giudice ME, Irvine EJ, Morgan D, Tinmouth J. Gastroscopy following a positive fecal occult blood test and negative colonoscopy: Systematic review and guideline. Can J Gastroenterol 2010; 24(2): 113-20.
- Aghdassi E, Arendt BM, Salit IE, Mohammed SS, Jalali P, Bondar H, Allard JP. In Patients with HIV-Infection, Chromium Supplementation Improves Insulin Resistance and Other Metabolic Abnormalities: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Trial. Curr HIV Res 2010; 8(2): 113-20.
- Naja F, Kreiger N, McKeown Eyssen G, Allard JP. Bioavailability of vitamins E and C: does Helicobacter pylori infection play a role? Ann Nutr Metab 2010; 56(4): 253-9. Epub 2010 Apr.
- Raman M, McLaughlin K, Violato C, Rostom A, Allard JP, Coderre S. Teaching in small portions dispersed over time enhances long-term knowledge retention. Med Teach 2010; 32(3): 250-5.
- Arcand J, Ivanov J, Sasson A, Floras V, Al-Hesayen A, Azevedo E, Mak S, Allard JP, Newton GE. A high-sodium diet is associated with acute decompensated heart failure in ambulatory heart failure patients: a prospective follow-up study. Am J Clin Nutr 2011; 93: 332–7. Accompanied by editorial. Frohlich ED. Am J Clin Nutr 2011; 93: 229-31.
- Arcand J, Floras J, Azevedo E, Mak S, Newton GE, Allard JP. Evaluation of two methods for sodium intake assessment in cardiac patients with and without heart failure: the confounding effect of loop diuretics. Am J Clin Nutr 2011; 93: 535–41.
- Arendt BM, Mohammed SS, Ma DWL, Aghdassi E, Salit IE, Wong DKH, Guindi M, Sherman M, Heathcote EJ, Allard JP. Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in HIV Infection associated with Altered Hepatic Fatty Acid Composition. Curr HIV Res 2011; 9(2): 128-35.
- Jeppesen PB, Gilroy R, Pertkicz M, Allard JP, Messing B, O’Keefe SJD. Teduglutide in Parenteral Nutrition Dependent Short Bowel Syndrome Patients. Gut 2011; 60(7): 902-14. Epub 2011 Feb 11.
- Kasai T, Arcand J, Allard JP, Mak S, Azevedo E, Newton GE, Bradley T. Relationship between sodium intake and sleep apnea in patients with heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011; 58: 1970–4.
- Fairholm L, Saqui O, Fernandes G, Baun M, Yeung M, Allard JP. Monitoring parenteral nutrition in hospitalized patients: Issues related to spurious bloodwork. Nutr Clin Pract. Nutr Clin Pract. 2011 Dec;26(6):700-7.
- Aljarallah B, Fernandes G, Allard J. The Canadian Home Total Parenteral Nutrition (HTPN) Registry: Vitamin K supplementation and bone mineral density. JPEN. J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012 Feb 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Fernandes G, Kaila B, Jeejeebhoy K, Gramlich LM, Armstrong D, Allard JP. Canadian Home Total Parenteral Nutrition (HTPN) Registry: Validation and Patient Outcomes. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012 Feb 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jawa H, Fernandes G, Saqui O, Allard JP. Home Parenteral Nutrition in Patients with systemic sclerosis: A retrospective review of 12 cases. J Rheumatol. J Rheumatol. 2012 Mar 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mouzaki M, Allard JP. The Role of Nutrients in the Development, Progression, and Treatment of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2012 Mar 29. [Epub ahead of print]
Department of Nutritional Sciences
Faculty of Medicine
University of Toronto
150 College Street, Room 341
Toronto, ON, Canada