- ABOUT US
G. Harvey Anderson, Ph.D.
Departments of Nutritional Sciences
Department Physiology Director,
Program in Food Safety, Nutrition and Regulatory Affairs
- Food intake regulation; carbohydrates, sweeteners, appetite and health; proteins, amino acids and food intake; dietary control of peptide hormone and neurotransmitter metabolism. Food composition, dietary status and chronic disease.
- Szeto, IM, Payne, M, Jaha-mihan, A, Duan, J, Anderson, GH. Multi-vitamin Supplementation During Pregnancy Alters Body Weight and Macronutrient Selection in Wistar Rat Offspring. JDev Origins Health Dis . (17-Sep-2010)
- Anderson, GH. Snacking Definitions: Impact on Interpretation of the Literature and Dietary Recommendations. Critical Reviews in Food Sciences (in press, December 2009)
- Abou Samra, R., Wolever T.M.S, and G. H.Anderson. 2007 Enhanced food intake regulatory responses after a glucose drink in hyperinsulinemic men. Int J Obes 31(8):1222-31.
- Abou Samra R and G. H. Anderson. 2007 Insoluble cereal fiber reduces appetite and short-term food intake and glycemic response to food consumed 75 min later by healthy men. Am J Clin Nutr 86:972–9.
- Bellissimo, N, Desantadina, M.V., Pencharz, P, Berall, G.B., Goode, R.C., Thomas, S.G. and G. H. Anderson. 2007. A comparison of short-term appetite and energy intakes in 9-14 year old normal-and over-weight boys following glucose and protein drinks. Int J Obesity. (2007) 1–10.
- Akhavan, T, and G. H. Anderson. 2007 Effects of the glucose to fructose ratios in solutions on subjective satiety, food intake and satiety hormones in young men. Am. J. Clin Nutr. ;86:1354–63.
- Luhovyy BL, Akhavan T, Anderson GH. 2007. Whey proteins in the regulation of food intake and satiety. J Am Coll Nutr. Dec;26(6):704S-712S
- Anderson, G.H. 2007 Much ado about high-fructose corn syrup in beverages: The meat of the matter. Am J Clin Nutr. 86:1577– 8.
- Bellissimo, N, Goode, R.C., Thomas, S.G. and G. H. Anderson. 2007 Short-duration physical activity and fitness associate with increased subjective appetite and mealtime energy intake in normal weight boys. Appetite 49(3):644-51.
- Bellissimo, N, Pencharz, P, Berall, G.B., Goode, R.C., Thomas, S.G. and G. H. Anderson. 2007. Effect of mealtime television viewing on food intake after a glucose load. Pediatr Res 61: 1–5.
- Major, G.C., Chaput, J-P, Ledoux, M., St-Pierre, S, Anderson, G.H., Zemel, M.B., and A. Tremblay... 2008. Recent developments in calcium-related obesity research. Obesity Rev 9: 428-445.
- Szeto, I.M.Y., Aziz, A., Das, P.J., Taha, A.Y., Okubu, N., Reza-Lopez, S.,Giacca, A., and G. H. Anderson. 2008. High multivitamin intake by Wistar rats during pregnancy results in increased food intake and components of the metabolic syndrome in male offspring. 2008. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 295: R575–R582.
- Bellissimo, N, Thomas, S.G., Goode, R.C, Pencharz, P.B. and G. H. Anderson. 2008. Reproducibility of short-term food intake and subjective appetite scores after a glucose preload, fitness measures and body composition in boys. J Applied Physiol. Nutr. Metab 33(2):326-37
- Szeto, I.M.Y., Aziz, A., Das, P and G.H. Anderson. 2009 Multivitamin Supplementation by Wistar Rats During Pregnancy Accelerates the Development of Obesity in Offspring fed an Obesogenic Diet. Int J Obes (Lond) 33:364-72.
- Reza-López SA, Anderson GH, Szeto IM, Taha AY, Ma DW. High vitamin intake by Wistar rats during pregnancy alters tissue fatty acid concentration in the offspring fed an obesogenic diet. Metabolism. 2009;58:722-30.
- Hamedani, A, Akhavan, T, Abou Samra, R and GH Anderson. Reduced energy intake at breakfast is not compensated for at lunch if a high insoluble fiber cereal replaces a low fiber cereal. Am J Clin Nutr.2009;89:1343-1349.
- Bozinovski, NC, Bellissimo, N, Thomas, SG, Pencharz, PB, Goode, RC, and G.H. Anderson (2009). The effect of short duration exercise at the ventilation threshold on subjective appetite and short-term food intake in 9 - 14 year old boys and girls. Int J Beh Nutr Phys Act. 6:66.
- Wong, C , Mollard, R., Luhovyy, B., and G.H. Anderson. 2009. Effect of source, recipe and variety of pulses on appetite, food intake and blood glucose control. J Am Coll Nutr 28; No. 5, 543–552.
- He M, Li E, Harris S, Huff M, Yau CY, Anderson GH. 2010. The Canadian Global Village Reality: A look at anthropometric surrogate cut-offs and metabolic abnormalities among East Asian, South-Asian and European descendants. Can Fam Physician; 56(5):174-82.
- Anderson, GH, Cho, CE, Akhavan, T, Mollard, RB, Luhovyy, BL and Finocchiaro, ET. 2010. The relationship between estimates of corn starch digestibility by the Englyst in vitro method and glycemic response, subjective appetite and short-term food intake in young men. Am J Clin Nutr; 91: 932-939.
- Akhavan, T, Luhovyy, BL, Brown, PH., Cho, CE. and GH Anderson. 2010. The Effect of Pre-meal Consumption of Whey Protein and its Hydrolysate on Food Intake and Post-Meal Glycemia and Insulin Responses in Young Adults. Am J Clin Nutr;91: 966-975.
- Akhavan, T, Luhovyy, BL, and GH Anderson. 2010. Effect of drinking compared with eating sugars or whey protein on short-term appetite and food intake. Int J Obes (Lond). 2010 Aug 24 [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 20733582.
- Mollard R, Wong C, Luhovyy BL, Anderson GH. Pre-meal low glycemic food effects on post-meal blood glucose. The European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. # 2010EJCN0267 Akhavan, T., Panahi, S., Anderson, G.H.,and Luhovyy, B.L. 2009. Dairy-derived ingredients: their application in food intake and metabolic regulation. In: Dairy-derived ingredients: food and nutraceutical uses. Ed: Milena Corridig. Woodhead Publishing p212-237.
- Anderson, G.H., Luhovyy, B.L., Panahi, S., Akhavan, T. Milk Proteins in the Regulation of Bodyweight, Satiety, Food Intake and Glycemia Clemens RA, Hernell O, Michaelsen KF (eds): Milk and Milk Products in Human Nutrition. Nestlé Nutr Inst Workshop Ser Pediatr Program, Nestec Ltd., Vevey/S. Karger AG, Basel, 2011, Vol. 67, p. 147–159.
- Wong, C and G. H Anderson. A Critical Analysis of the Science on Plant Sterols and Cholesterol-Lowering: An Evidence-based Review. PFSNRA Report to Health Canada, September 2008. Pp 309.
Department of Nutritional Sciences
Faculty of Medicine
University of Toronto
150 College Street, Room 322
Toronto, ON, Canada