- ABOUT US
Steven Narod, M.D., Ph.D.
Departments of Public Health Sciences and Nutritional Sciences, Canada Research Chair in Breast Cancer
- Steven Narod conducts longitudinal studies of women from families with and without genetic mutations related to breast cancer. He is currently focused on translating our emerging knowledge about hereditary cancer into more effective strategies for the prevention and management of breast and ovarian cancer. He is also interested in delineating the gene/environment interactions that underlie hereditary breast cancer, including the role of nutrition as a potential modifier of cancer risk. He is currently Principal investigator on a number of studies looking at risk factors associated with hereditary breast and ovarian cancer, investigating the role of BRCA2 mutations in ovarian cancer, and investigating the contributions of CHK2 gene mutations to breast cancer risk. He also participates as a co-investigator on a wide-range of hereditary cancer studies conducted by his students and international colleagues.
- Nam RK, Saskin R, Lee Y, Liu Y, Law C, Klotz LH, Loblaw DA, Trachtenberg J, Stanimirovic A, Simor AE, Seth A, Urbach DR, Narod SA. Increasing Hospital Admission Rates for Urological Complications After Transrectal Ultrasound Guided Prostate Biopsy. J Urol, 183, 963-8, 2010.
- Suchy J, Cybulski C, Wokolorczyk D, Oszurek O, Gorski B, Debniak T, Jakubowska A, Gronwald J, Huzarski T, Byrski T, Dziuba I, Gogacz M, Wisniowski R, Wandezel P, Banaszkiewicz Z, Kurzawski G, Kladny J, Narod SA, Lubinski J. CHEK2 mutations and HNPCC – related colorectal cancer. Int J Cancer 126, 3005-9, 2010.
- Wokołorczyk D, Gliniewicz B, Stojewski M, Sikorski A, Złowocka E, Dębniak T, Jakubowska A, Górski B, Wetering TV, Narod SA, Lubiński J, Cybulski C. The rs1447295 and DG8S737 markers on chromosome 8q24 and cancer risk in the Polish population. Eur J Cancer Prev, 19, 167-71, 2010.
- Panchal S, Bordeleau L, Poll A, Llacuachaqui M, Shachar O, Ainsworth P, Armel S, Eisen A, Sun P, Narod SA. Does family history predict the age-at-onset of new breast cancers in BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 mutation-positive families? Clinical Genetics, 77, 273-9, 2010.
- Kotsopolous J, Chen Z, Vallis KA, Poll A, Kennedy G, Ainsworth P, Narod SA. Toenail selenium status and DNA repair capacity among female BRCA1 mutation carriers. Cancer Causes & Control, 21, 679-87, 2010.
- Foulkes WD, Reis-Filho J, Narod SA. Size and survival in breast cancer: a reappraisal. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 7, 348-53, 2010.
- Vicus D, Finch A, Rosen B, Fan I, Bradley L, Cass I, Sun P, Karlan B, McLaughlin J, Narod SA. Risk factors for carcinoma of the fallopian tube in women with and without a germline BRCA mutation. Gynecol Oncol, 118, 155-9, 2010.
- Vicus D, Shaw PA, Finch A, Rosen B, Murphy J, Armel S, Sun P, Narod SA. Risk factors for non-invasive lesions of the fallopian tube in BRCA mutation carriers. Gynecol Oncol, 118, 295-8, 2010.
- Personalised medicine: A Personal View. Steven A. Narod. Current Oncology (in press)
- Genes, the environment, and breast cancer. Steven A. Narod. Lancet, 375, 2123-4, 2010.
- Testing for CHEK2 in the cancer genetics clinic: ready for prime time? Steven A. Narod. Clin Genet 78, 1-7, 2010.
- Screening of women at high familial risk of breast cancer. Steven A. Narod. Womens Health (Lond Engl), 6, 509-10, 2010.
- Vicus D, Finch A, Cass I, Rosen B, Murphy J, Fan I, Royer R, McLaughlin J, Karlan B, Narod SA. Prevalence of BRCA1 and BRCA2 germ line mutations among women with carcinoma of the fallopian tube. Gynecol Oncol, 118, 299-302, 2010.
- Warner E, Hill K, Causer P, Plewes D, Jong R, Yaffe M, Lynch H, Foulkes W, Ghadirian P, Wong J, Wright F, Sun P, Narod SA . A prospective study of breast cancer incidence in women with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation under surveillance with magnetic resonance imaging.
J Clin Oncol (In Press)
- Eskalov P, Kurtinaitisk J, Petraitis S, Ostapenko V, Razumas M, Razumas T, Meskauskas R, Petrulis K, Luksite A, Lubinski J, Gorski B, Narod SA, Gronwald J. The contribution of founder mutations in BRCA1 to breast and ovarian cancer in Lithuania. Clinical Genetics (Epub ahead of print).
- Ghadirian P, Narod SA, Fafard E, Costa M, Robicoux A, Nkondjock A. Breast cancer risk in relation to the joint effect fof BRCA mutations and diet diversity. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2009 Jan 23 (Epub ahead of print).
- Uglanitsa N, Oszurek O, Uglanitsa K, Savonievich E, Lubiński J, Cybulski C, Debniak T, Narod SA, Gronwald J. The contribution of founder mutations in BRCA1 to breast cancer in Belarus. Clin Genet, 2010 Mar 31. (Epub ahead of print).
- Akbari MR, Tonin P, Foulkes WD, Ghadirian P, Tischkowitz M, Narod SA. RAD51C germline mutations in breast and ovarian cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res. 2010 Aug 19 (Epub ahead of print).
- Ginsburg O, Lubinski J, Kim-Sing C, Foulkes W, Ghadirian P, Lynch HT, Huzarski T, Sun P, Narod SA and the Hereditary Breast Cancer Clinical Study Group. BRCA1 and BRCA2 families and the risk of skin cancer. Fam Cancer 2010 Sep 1 (Epub ahead of print).
- Dennis J, Ghadirian P, Little J, Lubinski J, Kim-Sing C, Foulkes W, Moller P, Lynch HT, Neuhausen S, Domchek S, Armel S, Isaacs C, Tung N, Sweet K, Ainsworth P, Sun P, Krewski D, Narod SA. Alcohol consumption and the risk of breast cancer among BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers. Breast 2010 Jun 11 (Epub ahead of print).
- Metcalfe K, Poll A, Nanda S, Llacuachaqui M, Tulman A, Mian N, Sun P, Narod SA. Patient satisfaction among unselected Jewish women undergoing genetic testing for BRCA1 and BRCA2. Clin Genet 2010 Jul 1 (Epub ahead of print).
Familial Breast Cancer
Research Unit at CRWH
790 Bay Street,