- ABOUT US
Paul B. Pencharz. M.B., Ch.B., Ph.D., FRCP(C)
Department of Nutritional Sciences
Department of Paediatrics
Faculty of Medicine
Fax: 41. 813.4972
- The Hospital for Sick Children, Department of Paediatrics and Surgery
- Dr. Pencharz focus is upon amino acid metabolism and requirements across the life-cycle from newborn infants to adults. In addition, he is interested in the effects of disease on protein, amino acid and energy needs. Recent studies have included patients with inborn-errors of metabolism as well as subjects on parenteral feeding.
- Humayun MA, Elango R, Ball RO, Pencharz PB. A re-evaluation of protein requirement in young men using the indicator amino acid oxidation technique. Am J Clin Nutr 86:995-1002, 2007.
- Elango R, Humayun MA, Ball RO, Pencharz PB. Lysine requirement of healthy school-age children determined by indicator amino acid oxidation method. Am J Clin Nutr 86:360-365, 2007.
- Hsu JWC, Ball RO, Pencharz PB. Evidence that phenylalanine may not provide the full needs for aromatic amino acid needs in children Pediatr Res 61:361-365, 2007.
- Mager DR, Wykes LJ, Roberts EA, Ball RO, Pencharz PB. Effect of orthotopic liver transplantation on branched chain amino acid requirement in children. Pediatr Res 59:829-834, 2006.
- Rafii M, Chapman K, Stewart C, Kelly E, Hanna A, Wilson D, Tullis, Pencharz PB. The effects of cystic fibrosis related diabetes on whole body protein metabolism and changes in response to insulin. Am J Clin Nutr 81:421-426, 2005.
Division of Gastroenterology and Nutrition
The Hospital for Sick Children
555 University Avenue