Summer Research Opportunities
Undergraduate Summer Research Opportunity Program
Applications for 2020 are now CLOSED.
Application deadline: February 28, 2020
The Department of Nutritional Sciences provides an excellent opportunity for undergraduate students to become involved in research within various aspects of nutrition.
- Diet and cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, and aging
- Nutrition, cognitive function, and brain development
- Food intake regulation and feeding behaviour
- Pediatric nutrition from neonate to teenager
- Biochemical and physiological function of food components - fiber, fatty acids, and anti-oxidants
- Nutrition and poverty
- Clinical nutrition
Stipends: From $ 4000 to $6000 for 12 to 16 weeks of research.
- Students must have successfully completed a term in a full-time undergraduate program directly prior to the award period
- Students must have an average of B+ (3.3 GPA) or higher in the two most recent terms to be eligible
- Students who have completed their undergraduate program are not eligible, unless they have been accepted into an undergraduate professional program (medical undergraduate degree program).
- Students who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate professional program (medical undergraduate degree program) are eligible to apply.
- University of Toronto and non-University of Toronto students may apply, including international students
- Students may submit only one application to this program. Departure from this rule will result in the application being accorded a lower priority or even denied
- Students cannot accept multiple summer research awards at the same time
- Students must be supervised by a Nutritional Sciences faculty member and are encouraged to contact prospective supervisors and formally introduce their research using the following list supervising faculty below.
- Supervisors can be named as primary supervisor for only one application through one unit to this Program.
Your application should include all of the following documents:
- UROP 2020 Application Form
- Electronic copy of your unofficial transcripts (PDF and screenshots are acceptable)
- Letter of Intent/Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- A reference letter on your behalf from a professor or previous employer
Please submit all of the following documents to Department of Nutritional Sciences Administrative Assistant by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: 2020 Undergraduate Summer Research Opportunity Program and the student’s name. Or you may submit physical copies to the Administrative Offices at the Medical Sciences Building, 1 King's College Circle, Rm 5255.
When selecting prospective supervisors, you must rank them from 1 to 4 in order of preference on your UROP 2020 Application form, with 1 being your most preferred.
The following faculty are available to supervise your summer research.
- Harvey Anderson
- Mary L'Abbe
- Deborah O'Connor
- Joanne Kotsopoulos
- Jonathon Maguire
- Vasanti Malik
- Ahmed El-Sohemy
- Elena Comelli
- John Sievenpiper
*The list will be updated when additional information becomes available.
It is the responsibility of the supervisor to ensure that their student is covered by the appropriate protocol.
Summer Research Awards
- The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council University of Toronto Excellence Award (NSERC UTEA) -1 award
- The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council Undergraduate Student Research Award Program (NSERC USRA) -1 award
- UROP – 7 awards
- GM – Health Research in other Areas: 2
- CH – Cardiovascular, Heart: 1
- CA – Cancer and Cancer related diseases: 4
Once applications have been reviewed, and supervisors assigned, selected applicants will be asked to complete the NSERC 202 form found on the NSERC online system.